POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyright question : Re: Copyright question Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:24:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright question
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 30 May 2005 15:13:37
Message: <429b65e1$1@news.povray.org>
I looked for something about "fair use" to see if you might be in that realm
by doing what you plan. Seems to be a grey area of copyrighted material. I
wasn't sure of any definite line between fair and unfair use even after
reading about it at:

http://www.coastal.edu/education/ti/copyright.html

This is just one place a google search found for me.

It is said (through a 'fair use' link there) that "published" works might be
more readily considered usable by others (derivative works, etc.) because
they give the copyright holder a firm footing of who has claim to the
original work. I just don't know if the p.b.i. group is considered as such
or not.

Besides that, they cite real-life examples which had actually been judged in
court and they fall to either side of the issue, meaning no ultimate rule
able to be followed, only a general guestimation I suppose.

Part of what I read makes your idea plausible, I believe, since it says if
some sort of academic purpose is being sought (in this case, an overview of
RSOCP's only for collecting and redirecting) then it might be 'fair use'. I
think you'd be in violation moreso if you expanded on the subject with new
material in this case, becoming more of a derivative work.

I hate trying to figure out copyrights, myself, so I try to stay away from
it.
;^)  Hmmmm. I never posted one of those RSOCP images, I doubt so anyhow!

Bob Hughes